HIM Coding Specialist II (Certified)
HIM Coding Specialist II
- Under the supervision of the Director of Health Information Management (HIM), the HIM Coding Specialist II-CCS, CPC, CPC-H, CCS-P (or equivalent) performs complex duties to review, abstract, code and conduct risk surveillance on both Inpatient and Outpatient medical records for statistical, administrative, billing and risk surveillance purposes.
- Should be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) and/or CCS-P) or Certified Professional Coder (CPC), or equivalent certification is required.
- Must have a minimum of two (2) years coding experience in an acute care facility using ICD-9-CM and CPT/DRG assignment.
- Must have inpatient setting experience.
- Knowledge of ICD-10-CM coding principles for both acute care and skilled nursing facilities is required.
- Knowledge of the prospective payment system and impact of codes upon reimbursement required. Knowledge and experience in medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology.